Monday, June 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Gammie!



This Sunday was Father's Day which is a great day, but I was most excited about the fact that is was also the same day as my grandmother's 90th birthday! My grandmother is one of my most favorite people in the world and I think that everyone should have someone as wonderful as her to bless their lives.

My grandmother - "Gammie" - is unique in every sense of the word. She had never been like other grandmothers. She drove a cherry red camero up until she was in her early 80's, she wore leather skirts and stiletto heels, she wore fancy clothes and would "burn rubber" in the school parking lot when she would pick my brother and I from elementary school. She never cooked, baked or sewed. She was the grandma who people would mistake for my mom because she looked so young and acted so vibrant....everyone always wanted her to be their grandmother but I was the lucky one!

Yesterday was an amazing day because a week ago she fell at home and broke her hip. The whole family was worried that she would spend her 90th birthday in the hospital. But true to her determined spirit she was back home where we celebrated her birthday. She was in great spirits and said it was her best birthday yet...happy birthday Gammie looking forward to an even better b-day next year!

No comments: