Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Random Thoughts I Wonder

If I met me would I like me?
How bad would that suck if I didn't like myself if I were another person and met me. Would that mean I am just a really judgemental person of other people or would it mean that I am a horrible person and unlikeable?

Would I have gotten along with my mom in high school?
Not like did I get along with her in high school but if she were also in high school at the same time I was (think Michael J. Fox and Lea Thompson) would I like her or would she be one of the girls I talked trash on?

What was there before the world was created?
There had to be something before. Even "nothing" is something was there just black everywhere...because that would still be something.

If I grew up before/during the Civil Rights Movement, would I have been proud of the person I was?
So many times I wonder who I would be if I grew up in a different time in history. I am proud of who I am today and how I treat people; how I value other races, ethnicity's, religions. But how much of that "acceptance" is due to how I was raised and how much of it is due to who I am inherently? In college I studied about crowd mentality and how societal "norms" have a lot to do with what people come to consider as "wrong" or "right". That being said, if I grew up in another time, say in the South during Civil Rights would I have been someone who stood up for the oppressed or would I have been one of the oppressors? I would hope that no matter where or when I grew up in time I would know right from wrong, not based upon law or upon my community but based upon the basic human principle that everyone is of the same fabric. I had the amazing opportunity once to sit with civil rights leader, Andrew Young who was right beside Martin Luther King, Jr. as his top aide during the Civil Rights Movement. I was astounded to listen to his stories of marching into angry mobs fighting for what he knew was right. I listened to him tell me a story about those he considered his friends, like Rosa Parks, fight beside him for equality. I would like to think that I would have been fighting right beside him too. Fighting for what I believed to be right and just. Fighting for something that I would have already had because of the color of my skin, but seeing it as an equal necessity as he did because we both lived in the same world. Thinking like this also reminds me that today, in my world, it is so important not to become comfortable in the discomfort of injustice but to be someone who goes against the crowd when you know something is wrong.

No comments: