Monday, December 15, 2008

Why I Love Christmas

I have always loved Christmas. Even when I was 5 years old and there was a stretch of time when I was sick for many Christmas' in a row, I still love Christmas. Even though I live in California and almost every Christmas is an unChristmas-y 90 degrees outside I still love Christmas. I love Christmas for so many reasons so I thought it was worthy of a list....

My Why I Love Christmas List

Because you can feel Christmas in the air. It is the crispness that comes mid-November and stays in the air throughout December. It is the freshness that changes the colors of the trees, it is that chill that you feel the minute you walk though the front door to face the day. Christmas brings a chill in the air that oddly warms up your heart.

Because Christmas music makes me feel hopeful and warm. I am one of the offenders that begins listening to Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving when select radio stations prematurely pump it out on the airwaves. Sure I go into stores and join the crowds of people who say, "They are playing Christmas music already! It isn't even December!" BUT inside I am singing right along with the music.

Because I love wearing bulky jackets - just give me a couple of nights where it dips below 60 degrees and I will throw on my peacoat, boots, scarf and gloves. And every year rationale escapes me and I am convinced that if I wish for it hard enough it will snow!

Because I love Christmas movies. I adore sitting in front of a fire on a rainy day with all the windows open, snuggled up under a blanket watching Christmas movies. If I could magically become a character in a Christmas movie I glady would. Make me an elf living in the South Pole...I will gladly become any of the Ghosts of Christmas Past...I would love to be any of the Who's in Whoville...I don't care! It doesn't matter to me, to have the chance to live in a magically lighted village snuggled deep in the snow somewhere where there is nothing but Christmas joy all day long...come on!!!!

I love the possibility in Christmas. Although Christmas has changed - which I have quickly found is the largest downfall of growing up - I do look forward to the next Christmas chapter. I can't wait to have kids of my own so that I can make Christmas' as magical as the ones my family made for me.

Speaking of Christmas' past I have had so many wonderful ones. One Christmas my mom covered the tree with cute little boxes each containing a clue to our big surprise present (which turned out to be bunny rabbits) AND to make that Christmas even better as my brother picked up his new rabbit it bit him so by Christmas evening I had TWO new bunnies! On another Christmas my brother and I decided to stay up all night on Santa patrol...late that night I swore I heard something on the roof but he had fallen fast asleep so to this day I have no witness to the event. I remember bits and pieces of many Christmas' and each one makes me so happy inside.

So Merry Christmas to all...no matter your reasons for loving Christmas all I can say is...I am with you!

No comments: